Monday, September 26, 2005

shall I continue...

I guess the only other major thing to say about the carnival deal was the crazy ride that Manfred and I went on. It was sort of a bungy ride...there were these two really tall poles that went about 30 or 40 or 50 yards up (I can't tell distance that well so I'm not sure...) and at the top of each was a really long bungy. Between the poles and attatched to the bungy was a ball made from metal bars with 2 seats in it. We sat in the seats and were thoroughly strapped in, then released after the bungies were tightened. Shot up into the air super duper fast and then down and up and down, and at the same time the ball was flipping in circles fowards and backwards. It was sooo much fun!! There was even a camera so the crowd could see our faces and then also speakers that projected our voices (my screaming, mostly) to the crowd. Stefanie recorded it for me with my camera, but I don't think I can post a video on here. Hmm. Anyway it was a major adrenaline rush and I was all shaky afterwards.

The drive home was very, eh, uncomfortable. Cramped into the bus with a bunch of drunk people. Oh, yeah, forgot to mention that we passed many many singing people. It was funny...they all had a mug of beer in their hands and were hanging onto each other bellowing words in German...attempting to sing a song. Quite funny. Anyway there was this one guy on the bus probably in his late 20s and he tried to get Stefanie to take a drink of his beer and she just laughed and kept saying no. So then he says to me, ''Wie heisse Sie?'' Ans so I said my name, and then he says something like, ''Kari, would you like to try my beer?'' Except in slurred German. I just kinda laughed and looked at him and then Manfred said I only speak English, so he says, 'Kaahh-ree, do you want a drink of my beer??'' And said nein, danke, and then Manfred told him I don't drink alcohol and he says, ''You don't drink alcohol??!! Ahh, but this is special, this is Rothaus, very special.'' Or something like that. It was so funny. I just laughed at him so he continued on his way. Oh, and the bus was equipped with a cooler full of Rothaus beer, and the bus driver was selling it to the people on the bus starting at 9am until 3:30am. And some other random guy patted me on the head for no reason. He just kinda looked in a daze and kept walking. Well I suppose that is all and for some reason the computer isnt posting the photos, so I will try that tomorrow.


Oh, And I made enchiladas and Mexican rice yesterday. I was dissappointed...they were good, but i needed more sauce, so they were little dry. Carola especially loved them, and yes, they like my cooking. I think I want to make pesto fettucine and focassia bread next. mmmm yummy.

5 comments:

rae said...

sounds like you're having some major fun. that's hilarious about the beer offerings, the random pat--especially the drunken attempts at singing. i wish i could have seen that.

Anonymous said...

Random pats, offerings of beer, singing in the street, should I go on? All typical male dog offensive tactics. Ah my Kari… you have so much to learn. These seemingly harmless gestures and so many you didn’t notice enough to mention, are ALL a plot by common man-dogs to hit on women. It’s so obvious…for instance: the guy offering you beer…why didn’t he stick around and talk to you after you declined to indulge? Answer: you weren’t interested in getting drunk with him, thus squashing his chances, so he moved on to seek another more vulnerable subject. And the guy tapping you on the head…this guy really wanted to pat your back side, but he actually had some vestigial remnants of a conscious left in his alcohol polluted brain, so only taped your head. However, his action was nothing more than a stimulus soliciting a response. A confused squinting of the eyes or a mad look of disgust sent him running, but a bright look and smile of acceptance and I guarantee he would have stopped dead in his tracks, and it would have taken an attack dog to fight him off. The guys singing in the street…they’re a little more subtle. I’d liken them to a pack of pup coyotes, just ACTING fun and friendly so as to entice any unsuspecting females to join in, then, after a few beers and a semi loss of consciousness, they’re not so puppy like anymore. Are you beginning to get the picture? Really, if you think about it, you probably shouldn’t be talking to men at all. Trust me…it’s for your own good.

However, based on what you have written and based on how I have raised you, I believe you taking care of yourself quite well, so… I will permit you to speak to only a choice few of the more well trained dogs of the human specie, just so long as you’re careful…like I know you will be. Perhaps they have man-dogs in a locked kennel somewhere in Germany…that would be safe. And if they misbehaved, you could spray them with water!

As for the rest of this carnival experience, it sounds like you’re having a great time. You are sooo lucky to have a host family who treats you to sooo many experiences! I think they’re spoiling you! Be careful though. Don’t get used to all the fun as I’m sure there will be times when you do nothing but go to school and come straight home for weeks on end. Just think of that time as your opportunity to learn the language. Humm…I’ll have to come up with some wise words of wisdom for dealing with this whole psychological process…the highs, the lows, etc,. I’ll work on it.

You’re lucky you don’t get sick on rides. I could never do more than one a day when I was a kid. Guess that’s why I also get sea sick so easy. So are the carnival people similar to the ones here in the US? Did they also have a livestock exhibit? Probably not. This sounds more like a party than an exhibit.

Sounds like you’re keeping your new family in new foods. I assume they’ve never hag enchiladas? We don’t get them anymore here either. Mom’s always too busy to feed us. Kyle and I have been doing most all the cooking. Just joking…although I must say we don’t seem to eat as much since you and Blaine have left the nest.

Speaking of nest…Dargo caught a Jack rabbit day before yesterday. Unfortunately, it drug him through the berry vines for quite some distance before it got loose, but not before I was able to slash both my arms multiple times trying to reach through 4 feet of barb wire like vines to attempt to subdue the jack. Oh well, nothing a few stitches won’t fix. Hopefully soon he’ll hold on to something long enough to put it in the freezer. I’ll send you pictures so you can show all your new friends. Kidding.

Oh well, guess that’s all. Oops I forgot…we went to Jessie’s going away party night before last. That was neat. Ed made some very delicious tri tip and alcohol free margaritas. I had 2. Mmmm..yumy. Jess was boxing up all Ed and Sharrons LP’s (that’s a big round vinyl record if you didn’t know…kind of looks like a giant CD only black) Was interesting to see a youngster with an interest in old records. For the record…your mother THREW AWAY all my old albums a long time ago. Of course, we probably still have hers tucked away safe somewhere…along with her dirty, used and broken teenage mutant ninja turtle collectables. Chuka chukaah…

Love Pop

Anonymous said...

Your father is too much!!!! Was he that funny at home?? Am I missing something?? He was always so crabby, and now he's so witty.

Sounds like the trip made for some great memories. Enjoy... I love you

Mom

Anonymous said...

Dear Kari,
I still am not sure if I am getting thru to you...but I never got thru to my kids either as I was always in a state of self gratification... Probably doesn't make sense to you but oh well.
Hey it has been fun reading all you write plus all the comments. Especially your dads!!! Your Mom is right.. He is getting quite comical. Whoops also most said something I shouldn't have as I don't know who reads these.
So glad you are having fun. And you are much braver than I.
In fact when your Grandpa Ken went to Guam I then followed about a month later with Eisha, our wiener dog. Went to Hawaii and had to spend the night. I was so chicken that I stayed in the motel room the whole time til the plane left the next day...what a dummy!!!
No so now. I never say no or so the correct thing. Much for fun.
love and blessings Granny

Anonymous said...

Hey Carry, this is Lacey from the from 4-H we were just reading your blog I am so glad that you mad the soccer team. your mom just told use about peter peter the bullet eater that is so sad he fell in the lake. We think your fair lamb is pregnant if it is I might get to buy it if it is a good lamb.
Now i've got to go Lacey Callahan