Wednesday, September 07, 2005

german lakes

today they let me sleep in until 11am, crikey, i felt like a bum. but i suppose it was ok because of jet lag and a lack of sleep. and thank you all that replied!!! for breakfast they have a little table outside the house near the garden and that's where we eat. just like finland: bread and whole milk. the milk was a little thick and strong so i might go for water more often. the bread was delish of course. we went to a near lake (well about 30 minutes away) where we canoued (spelling?) and ate lunch, sorta. bread and grapes and an apple. the funny thing is though it seems like i have lost my appetite. im not even hungry, and i have hardly eaten anything today. i saw a lot o toppless women and the funniest old man: he was old and thin and wrinkly, half bald, but the hair he had was white, and had a beard down to his chest and was wearing a blue and white striped tiny speedo. ahhh it cracked me up.

i have discovered that niedergebisbach is a small villages, which is part of herrischried. there are 7 small villages in herrischried. the center of herrischried is only about 3/4 a mile away though. i went over the ''first night questions'' that rotary gave me and i discovered that my host club paid for my insurance and probably my emergency fund also!!! how sweet is that?! good thing because the exchange rate sucks so i am losting about 30% of my mula. also, manfred (host dad) told me i was probably going to be staying with them the entire year. so i have a bunch of extra gifts. i guess there are going to be some lucky rotarians getting olive oil, honey, and tshirts.

i think the house is 3 strories but they rent part of it. i think that is what most of the familes do around here. ok i really wanted to put pics on here but next time because i cant find the program where they went into...its all in german on the computer. i guess thats it....kari

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to get a map out to figure all this out. Sounds just wonderful none the less. I am heading up to Houston for my first spanish conversational lesson soon. Suppose to a group class, but I am the only student, so it is a private lesson. I scored!! How's your german? You will be fluent before you know it. When does school start? Is your host family in Rotary? So far, I feel like I am on the adventure with you!!! Love you tons kari-bear!! xxoo

Anonymous said...

Hey kiddo,

Reading this brings back memories! Ahh, I can't wait to go back.. all well, soon enough. Mitch and I plan to visit Germany on our next adventure, so you'll have to tell us all the hot spots. I'm off to work, keep having fun kari-bear, and I'll keep reading. Don't drink too much of that German ale.

Your bud,

Cody

Anonymous said...

Kari,

I am reading your blog daily with envy. What a wonderful expereince for you. Enjoy every minute!

Your mom's Olympic friend-----Bunny in Atlanta

Anonymous said...

Here I am at work reading these funny entries. (On high speed--WAAY faster than home) My students are even following your Blogs. We are learning all about culture thru you! You're a natural teacher. Keep the details comin'. No exciting stories back home so ya may as well stay there and have fun. BTW, the dentist does not have your German text book, nor does your trunk. Hmmm, guess yer gonna learn the old fashioned way. Let me know what else you want mailed and I will get it off next week. Love Mom

Anonymous said...

RAR!!!

So kickstuh how ya doin in the hood? You should send a bug to me to feed to Scamp. Are you enjoying yourself? Do you like the lackof our computer? Are you iPOD pictures and camera working out ok? Siska sucks...

BTW, I found your text book.

Anonymous said...

Man reading all of this makes me want to cry, because i miss you, but mostly because i am so happy for you and excited about what a great time you are going to have. i can just imagine what awesome memories you will gain and this will most likely be the one of the greatest times of your life. I love you so much, oh how did your pillow work?

Anonymous said...

heeey kari!! im soo excited for you its awesome that your there. hey i red that your like looking for a german book? ray at jv said that you left a book at work.. that might be it ill ask around when i go there tomorrow. k.. i hope your having the gratest time though.. toodles

Anonymous said...

Wow! Do you really think your Rotary Sponsors paid your insurance AND your bad-girl return fund? If they did, you are very lucky. Obviously they realize just how special you really are...despite your tendency to sometimes inavertently being perceived as pensive. Smile Kari :) !! (inside joke)

Canouing...humm, that sounds fun. Is that a sport like fishing here at home? I might like this canouing. What kind of tackle did you use?

Enough humor at your expense. I assume you read Kyle's last post in your blog. Yes he did find your German text book. It was at work right where you left it...unless someone stole it and took it to your work and left it there? Mom said she will try to send it friday.

Does your host family own a canoe, or did they rent one? Do you think they took you there because they do that sort of thing or because they want make you feel at home? Either way, it sounds nice. Have you met any falconers yet? Seen any european goshawks? Oh yeah, we have a new addition to the flock. Emma had a ram lamb. I was the first to spot it (hawk eye pop). It looks healthy and wants you to come home now so you can take care of it.

You will be hapy to hear, Dargo is doing quite well. His weight is coming down and he's doing jumps in the garage with Zoie and Ozzie there for exposure purposes. I'll probably be hunting with him soon. Mom says I'm a bore, and should quit typing...too bad. I'll type as long as I want. Hope I don't scare off any of your friends. Have fun Kari, and figure out how to send some good pics. Oh btw, grandpa ken says he will send you his video camera if you think you might use it? One more thing...Kyle says RaR.
Love pop

Anonymous said...

Hey Kari,

So glad to hear you made it. It all sounds so great. New adventures and ways of life. I envy you. We are all thinking about you here and missing you already. Have fun.

Love, Michele

Anonymous said...

Kari! thats sounds awesome, i can only imagine whats its like in a little german/ swiss village, beautiful i bet..well dont eat too much cheese haha
cheers
vince

Anonymous said...

I didnt even know that I emailed you. Anywho you need a GPS seriously geocaching rocks. Then you can take it with you to the Sherwood Forest or wherever your going hiking. Today at the beach the waves were huge!!!!!!!! like as tall as houseboats it was scary.