Thursday, September 08, 2005

die bild (the photo)






Left: I took this from the front of my new home...another big house.

Right:That's a hotel right on the lake that we went canoing in. That is what most houses look like; that reddish steep rooftop with lots of windows. They are all at least 2 stories high, that is why i think they rent to other people.

The weather has been gorgeous but i really want it to be cold!!! So I can wear my pretty cashmere pea coat that I sacrificed 1/3 a paychack on (not that my paychecks were that much). Oh yeah, I met Stefanie's mom, Carola, the night I came in. She is also very nice; they are so kind to me and help me with everything- but they also only speak German to me, unless I don't understand. I am thankful for that, I can already tell I am learning faster. Manfred speaks very good English, and also French. Sometimes he accidentally says things in French. When I think about things back home, or conversations I had back home, I am already thinking to myself, ''How did I say that in German?'' Then i remember I was in Redding.

Today we went to Bad Säckingen (which is pronounced say-king-gen), which is such a cute little city. It dates back to the 1200's I think (Niedergebisach goes back to 1301; I saw a sign that said that when I was running yesterday). I got a battery charger, planner/calendar (little did I know it is in German, English, and French), and a backpack for school. Manfred wouldn't let me pay for them, though I tried. I did buy a pair of euro-jeans, which I adore. My fashionista friends would appreciate that. (dark denim muhuhahahah).

Last night jet lag set in. I randomly woke at 2:30am and didnt get back to sleep until around 4:30---probably because of the IB profen PM I brought with me. My stomach has shrunk, seriously...I am eating about half I ate back home. Ah that will probably change though.

I am meeting my host rotary club next Tuesday and in October and going with a Rotarian for a week for some adventure with the other inbounds in the Black Forest.

Also, not all women here shave their legs or armpits. ewweeeeee. I will not comform!!!!! The young girls do, though.

Kyle, thank you soooo much for finding my German book, that is really going to come in handy. fewwwww. And Mom and Pop, is Grandpa Ken serious about his video camera???!!! That would be soooo awesome!!! Hmm well i guess that's all for now. Tschüss!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

It sounds better every day and your hosts sound fantastic!

Bunny

Anonymous said...

Dear Kari,

The class read your site, and I heard some interesting things. That would be so cool! Living in a four story house! Having your host pay for your stuff! Thank you for keeping us up to date. You make Germany sond so interesting! I am going to Germany someday. Keepus updated. Wite back soon!

Hollianne

Anonymous said...

Oh neat! Jet lag is a blessed apple. Euro fashion is probably a lot hipper than medieval chainmail with sheaths and swords. Ya I don't get it anymore.
mitch

Anonymous said...

Hi! How is it like living in germany besides what you already said like are there things written in english there? What is your favorite thing to do there, how much different is it from america? Do they know what is happening in New Orleans there? what kind of music do they play there? I think i will go to a different country to to see what its like.

Meg

Anonymous said...

hey kari...

i wore your blue skirt the other day and three or so people complimented it; and one girl showed me her designs for her prom dress that she's looking for someone to make for her, and i showed her the picture i have of you in your authentic Sui Generis prom dress, and then my theatre teacher overheard us talking and asked if you could be her new costume designer, lol. i was all 'nope - she's in Germany!.... and she's already graduated, and she lives in california...' but the point is, you had job offer, lol. in a way.

i've got two katrina evacuee students in my classes, and one was in tutoring with me for math today. two of them were prtty quiet, but the one in my theatre class, TJ, has lots of... pep. very freindly guy. so that's sort of interesting.

the pictures are beautiful! the grass is so green! the colors are just awesome. take more pictures. ok.

you're a fairly awesome cousin. stay cool.

love mel

PS i heart dark blue jeans.

Anonymous said...

Ok I pronounced it say-king-gen until you corrected me, but anyways I'm starting to get jelous so quit making everything sound so great even though I'm sure it is. Hearing about adventures in the black forest REALLY makes me wish i could be there. Anyhow the Frontiersmen club is really takin off. Luke is sposed to get it approved Tuesday and then we can have official meetings. We have kids from Enterprise who are gonna skip class so they can come to the Frontiersmen lunch meetings. We're gonna make shirts so once we get em I'll try to send you one. http://www.geocities.com/mafialuge/frontiershirt.html thats what their gonna look like maybe. Im makin a few more designs. so everything is good here too. keep us updated on everything.

Joe

Anonymous said...

Hi Kari,

Wow, did you do well. Your host family sounds delightful. Of course, they are lucky to have you as well. After some of my experience, having a wonderful host family that also wants to help you learn is even better. Sometimes, it doesn't work that way, I know!! But your situation sounds incredible.
Can you believe Emma had a lamb and only one!! Poor ewe, 3 babies in one year!! Do you miss the sheep?? Oh, I forgot who am I talking too!! I miss sheep!!!
Love you darlin'
your ak

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have so many dedicated readers. My students love reading/hearing your little cultural differences. Fits in great with world studies and cultures. It sprinkled a minute ago. I'm copying off all these blogs for your binder. Gosh, everything sounds idyllic. What are dinners like? What are the family routines like? Any music goin' on? We love reading all this interesting stuff. Miss you and love you lots, Mom

Anonymous said...

Kari
Sounds like you're having a good time. When will you be cooking? Do you think they will like Taco's? What are you going to cook first? Who normally does the cooking? Will you just butt in? Do you speak much with your sister? Wow..you have a sister! Have you seen any hawks yet? Nice houses. We want pics of your family (with you)!
Love Pop

Anonymous said...

Hey Kari, How is it in Germany. You said that you had to eat bread and drink milk at breakfast. Is that filling to you? I have been to Germany and it is so different. The fashion and speaking is odd.
TTYL a.k.a Talk to you later.