Saturday, September 10, 2005

scary driving and lots of cars





Top picture is of the Krüger's house. I am sittig in the room that is covered in the vine plant. Middle picture is taken from the forest. Bottom picture is of Herrischried, taken from the top of Niedergebisbach.

Hallo my friends. Lets see...I didn't post yesterday, but that's okee. I dont want to be a computer-aholic. Here are some things I have noticed about Germany: 90% of the vehicles are cars. 70% of those are wagon-like cars, or mini-mini-van like cars. 5%are SUV's, 4% are tractors, and 1% are trucks. Or something of the like...thats about what I have decided. I have seen TWO trucks since I have been here---that doesnt count semis. And the roads are super narrow. So you're pretty much in quite the pickle if you get a flat or the car breaks down, because there is no where to pull over. there is the white limit line and then dirt. and the roads are super curvy, so chances are someone will come around the corner at 50 mph and hit you. i really dont see how they do it. oh, and you can also pass someone pretty much wherever or whenever you want. the average american driver would most likely get passed 5-10 times on the 15 minute drive from Bad Säckingen to Niedergesbisbach. I got quite sick yesterday when we went doen to Bad Säckingen. Usually it goes away when I get out of the car, but it took 45 minutes to go away. Probably because all I had eaten was some bread. hmm. Oh yeah, and I bought some boots. Not snow boots, but hiking boots, i suppose. Manfred and Carola said i would need them, especially for when i go to the Black Forest with the Rotarian. I tried translating the info sheet about the event, but i didnt get far. All I really picked up was that it is for the inbounds and that we will be staying in a youth hostel and something about swimming. dictionaries arent the best for translating conjgated verbs and strange words.

Yesterday and today it has been on and off overcast weather. It sprinkled a wee bit, I liked that. And the night before last Stefanie, Manfred and I rode the bikes down into the main part of Herrischried, about a mile, to see if I could join the girls' soccer team. Unfortunately the age level is 12-15, so Manfred is going to check the next town over. Ahh school starts on Monday---quite nervous about that. Stefanie showed me the classes I can take so I wrote down the ones that I am going to try and get, but there are no guarentees. For my 5 main subjects (4 hours a week), i have: German, English (muhuhahahah!!!!), Math, Sport (PE), and Spanish. For the others, which I have 2 hours a week, I have: art, history, geography, politics, either ethics or catholicism (spelling?), chemistry, and physics. I think I am in the 12th grade, eqivalent to our senior year (nerrr), so it kind of works since I am born late anyway, I fit right into that grade. They also have a 13th because they have an extra year of secondary school.

I have also noticed that pretty much all homes and home-style buildings (restauants, cafes, little shops, etc.) have geraniums in their windows, in the garden, EVERYWHERE. Simone, you were right. Switzerland is the same. Oh, and dinner here is very insignificant. Lunch is the big meal. Dinner is just whatever, like our lunch i guess. maybe a piece of bread or leftovers (although there arent really much of that), or even a pastry. and we eat a lot of tomatoes. Most of the veggies Carola grows in the garden (tomatoes, red and yellow, onions, carrots, lettuce, spinach, and other stuff i havent seen yet). Last night i made a chocolate cake with this chocolate mousse frosting filling stuff...had to add extra pudding mix to the mousse so it would thicken up. It was interesting going to the store trying to find the ingredients and attempt translating sweetened condensed milk and baking soda and other things. they didnt even know what baking soda was, the store clerk had to show them. i remember the same incident in finland...hahah. anyway, there is a bunch of people coming over tonite, so thats what the cake is for...Carola said she had never seen a cake of that ''form.'' aka double layer 9'' cake. Hmmm and today after cooking more in the morning, i went running and then got my camera and walked around Niedergebisbach and took pictures.

Oh and i forgot to mention that when i was in the Zürich airport just before customs, a man called my name...because he saw it on my Rotary blazer. Turns out he is the youth exchange district chairman of a district in Ohio. Ironic, eh?

Melanie: I have your black sock (HAHAHA) and Joe has your sunglasses. They were in his car.
Blaine: You about made me die laughing with your last email, thought you should know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing i took one of your black socks then. now we each have one of eachother's black socks. how strange... hmm. and somehow or other i want to get my sunglasses back from joe. maybe he could give them to tori and i could get them back when i go home for new years? maybe?

THOSE PHOTOS ARE GORGEOUS. they make me think of The Lorax and how our earth is supposed to look. germany is waaay prettier than houston. it's not saying much really, cause most places are prettier than houston, but i felt you ought to know.

your house looks really big too, that must be nice. so you get to go wandering in the black forest?!?! that's so cool! i want to go! except i'm stranded in houston.... :( oh well. korinn and i are thinking about volunteering through Rotary to help Katrina evacuees. i haven't got it all organized yet though. i think it'll be fun, not to mention a good deed. make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

keep writing! i love reading your posts and looking at your pictures. zey are awesome.

love mel

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm..who's black sock did I find last night?? Yours or Mel's? I found a short one on the bed, I threw it away. I decided that I will do a few minutes every night in your room cleaning. Boo hoo for you! Last night, I took out an arm load of trash, and washed all the bedding. Thanks to Tori the closet isn't too bad. Now I just need a way to squeeze all of your treasured belongings in it--out of my sight--out of mmind to make your room ready for guests.

It is sooo coool here--literally. Practically cool enough to build a fire.

Give me a list of what you want sent. I have a pile going....Post a pic of you and your family, maybe your bedroom ---we need some visuals back home.

Guess I better get to the sheep pen--there is mulch to be moved.

With love from your gardening, sheep rancher mum....

Anonymous said...

Morning Kari,

It is like a family reunion on here!!! Makes me warm and fuzzy. What a beautiful neighborhood you are now living in. I love your newsy posts. I hope you can keep it up long term. I am starting to get in the habit of cking your blog every morn. I agree with your mom, we need to see photos your host family, your living space!! Every country I have driven in outside of the US is very scary. Narrow roads, fast drivers, and traffic laws don't seem to mean much. Guatemala was the scariest, the bus I was on was passing slow cars on the uphill side of a switch back road on a mountain. I am glad to still be here!! Does your host family know your rep for car sickness???? Got dramamine (sp)?
Mel and I finished her purple room yesterday, now for the gold trim.
Miss you!!
love your ak

Anonymous said...

Dearest Kari
You are so lucky! It sounds like your room in Germany might be much bigger than your room here at home. I DO hope you will attempt to keep your new room a tad cleaner. Mom seems to think she's cleaning it out for guest's. Evidentally she doesn't know about the plans I have of making it into a falconry mew.

I concur with your aunt K and mom...send us pics of your new family! We all want to see them. Take advantage of guests or strangers...get them to snap a photo for you, so you can be in the picture with them.

Hows your German coming along? Slow I bet. Just remember, if you don't try to strike up a conversation (no matter how dificult), you may never end up having one at all. This is just based on my experience with Mitsumi, where I never talked to her unless she spoke first. Not to say Manfred is anything like me...he's probably much more sociable.

So...I feel compeled to ask...has anyone cornered you yet, grabbed your lower jaw to open your mouth as in preparation for rescue breathing, and then poured a pint of German ale down your gullet? I didn't think so, but that's the impression I get would happen form those who claim to have spent any time in G-land. Is beer or wine andy part of table fare at the Kruegers residence? Just curious...as Kyle says "alcohol is bad, you shouldn't do alcohol"...he also says "Rar"

Only 19 days till Falconry season!

Love Pop

ps, I agree with aunt K, this is kind of like the family chat room...not to scare away any of your friends...it's not like I'm gonna track them down if they dis you on your website, and get even.
Or will I?

Anonymous said...

Blaine
Maybe you should carry pepper spray? And air freshner.

Pop