Tuesday, September 06, 2005

ich bin in deutschland!!

hey guess what everyone? im in germany! this keyboard is slightly different, so dont mind my mistakes. i dont know how to capitalize and z and y are switched. my flights were good, but it was a long time. it doesnt feel like it was actually 24 hours. in st. paul i saw another guy with a blazer on, so i talked to him. he was from la but used to live in hayfork. then in detroit they just started pouring in. i think there were about 12 of us, all going to southern germany. on the 8 hour flight to amsterdam we all sat together in the back because there was a bunch of open space. the mid west kids all had accents it was hilarious. really, they dont just sax awesome, they say aaaassome. i felt a little sick on the flight to zurich, but after i landed it was ok. i havent met my host mom yet, but my host dad and sister are both very nice. although i think they are just now realizing how little german i know. i know how it feels, everything they say i am lost. and then they have to translate. but the house is really nice, i think its 4 stories, but the top 2 they rent to people. i have a room to myself, and its nice, windows with lots of light. the houses are gorgeous too, picture perfect. niedergebisbach is about 20 out of bad säckingen, all uphill on a narrow curvy road and they drive about 50 on it. scary!! everything is green and lovely and the weather is moderate. about 75 to 80. i still feel like i am flying, going to turbulance. well i dont want to be on too long, but lucky for me they have high speed internet and my host dad said i could use it whenever i want. neener neener to mom and pop---i have fast intenet!!! i love you all! bis bald...until later. ps--comments are nice. :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

KARI!!!!!

youre in Germany. i'm so excited!!! i'm glad they have high speed interent - isn't it nice? just click and then ~whoosh~ there you go, speeding through the web. good fun.
that's awesome that they were a whole bunch of you guys on the plane. were you all in your blazers? were there a whole bunch of Rotarians waiting for all of you in Zurich, or just a few?
bweh, i'm so jealous. i wanna be an exchange student!!! ...i just have to wait. my time will come. but i'll be going to braziiilll!! (hopefully).

well, i love you. ok. take care and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kari,

Your in Germany, way cool!! I miss you already!! But I know your having the "time of your life". I saw all of Mel's photos from the trip. You and the gang all looked so great!! I will email you some photos soon to your regular email acct.
I am so glad your doing this blog, so we can all share in your adventure.
Love you lots....

Anonymous said...

HI Kari,
Keep having, The Time of Your Life. Back here at home you are missing warm weather, short showers, an abundant fly population, and way slow Internet access--so slow it makes ya want to pull your hair out! We miss you, but are so glad you can have this awesome experience! Enjoy every single minute! We'll be back home waiting for your return...for the rest of your life.. Love ya, Mom and Pop, Ozzy and Zoe

Anonymous said...

Kari
Your mother is all messed up. You are missing everything! The weather is cooling, our water tank is over full, Kyle is acting normal, duck season is just around the corner and I will soon be training a passage coopers hawk! What else could you ask for! Why must you be so insistent on abandoning your parents? The doggies miss you and want you to come home, and mom won't feed me.

Humm...on the other hand, it's kinda nice getting to use the computer when I want without competing with you kids. It's a lot quieter around here. I think our electric bill has already started to go down. Kyle IS acting normal, and I have your car to modify when I get bored!

Really Kari, I know you've been dreaming of this trip for many years. You've worked very hard, mostly all on your own to make it happen. You deserve to have the year of your life. But remember, only you can make it so. Of course, outstanding host families can accentuate your experience immensely, but still it's mostly up to you. Be careful. Remember what I said about men!
Love, PoP
By the way, you forgot to clean your room. Muhuahahaha..I guess I'll have to do it.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention...the salmon are biting too. nener, nener, nener
Love, Pop

Anonymous said...

hey kari, ohmygod you're there!! this blogging thing is cool. how did you ever figure it out? oh, what am i saying, you're young and cool and can figure out anything electronic where as im old and (but still cool!) and cant figure out how to set my lawn timer, lol!! i was talking to your mom last night and told her as soon as i get my computer fixed im moving it into my room and changing to dsl. dial up should be illegal its so slow. grant has the wifi stuff and its great but he said one person "misappropriating" the free airwaves in the family is okay, but two is wrong. do i believe him or not? sounds like u have a great place to live and beautiful surroundings - send pics okay? what is school like, have u started? its strange to hear that its still warm there, i always think of that region as being cold all the time. well ill sign off now, blog u later, xoxo brooke

Anonymous said...

Word to yer motha.. Naked people.... hmmmmmmm cool. Is there anything cool in germany? like fishing or hunting or geocaching??? u should get a gps and find german geocaches like this one that I found on the internet its called Nachtschwärmer. "Der Münchner Geocaching-Stammtisch" whatever that may mean and is located at N 48° 16.420 E 011° 34.190
So now you have a geocache to go find.
So you say an old man in spedos huh thats pretty cool... I saw a bum sitting in the middle of the HSU campus on the lawn with his rabid wild stray kitten (it was seriously rabid or cursed or something) So i could smell this guy from 30 ft away no kidding and his clothes were just all sorts of different fabrics patched together and he had no shirt just his cat which was on a piece of yarn for a leash tied around its neck and stomach. The cat was trying to run away and when i walked buy it lunged at me and hissed and then was trying to attack me. Anyways Ill save the rest of the bum stories for later. This Friday Im going out with the midnight bike riders of HSU and we are going to go ride around Arcata yup. Well have fun. ~Blaino

Anonymous said...

Kari it's so exciting!!!!!!!!! i lover you

Anonymous said...

Hi Kari

This is Alex Woodward with Rotary. How is your exchange going?? I guess you just got there didn't you?? Do you like Germany??

Switzerland is really cool. Since you are so close, you should come visit me sometime! I live in Bad Ragaz, which is on the Eastern Border of Switzerland.

Hey Have an AWESOME exchange year, and get in contact with me sometime.

Alex