Tuesday, September 13, 2005

ich verstehe nichts.

Ok, I have no idea how I am going to get passing grade the first part of this school year. Honestly, I don't understand anything the teachers are saying. And we pretty much just sit there and the teachers lecture. Both teachers and students change classrooms, so all the rooms are bare with nothing on the walls. They have chalk boards and windows, that it. And EVERYONE has a pensil case. I just throw my pens and pencils in my backpack. A little easier, just less organized. Teachers wear whatever they want, they dont't really dress up. Each class is 45 minutes long, so a double period is an hour and a half. Lunch is the same time long. The first class starts at 7:50 and the last gets out at 5. Thank goodness my latest class goes only to 3:30. Today i didnt have anything the first two periods, then I had physik. I dont know if i am going to keep that class. I wasnt that good at it last year, but in a foreign language?? And we are starting with electricity...something we only spent 2 weeks on last year. And then i had English. Sehr gut stunde. The teacher spoke in English. We talked about hurricane katrina, and then watched a clip from CNN, I was hoping it would be in English. :) Then we had to do a little paper on it. The teacher asked for a volunteer to go write on the board so i thought, hey why not. She still didn't know I was an exchange student. But I think she must have had some hint since my accent was ''so good.'' hahah. So then I told her, but in German. hehe. She talked to me a bit after class, and wants to read my writing. After that there was a 15 minute break, and then double ethik. (eithics). The only thing i recognized was freiheit, which means freedom, determination (spelled the same in German), and Voltaire. Other than that I was lost. But there are a few girls in that class interested in talking to me. And then I had PE. BUt crikey, I cant write any longer, Manfred and I are going to a Rotary meeting. tomorrow.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kari,

Hi from all the students from Bella Vista School.
So your having fun right?

Bye, Bryce and The other students!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kari,
Sorry your classes are so intense. I suspect this is the the worst of it! How's that for positive thinking. Sounds very hard, confusing and what a adventure. I just got back from lunch and shopping at Kemah Boardwalk. It is a Texas version of Pier 39. I bought some super cute flipflops!! Now it is raining super hard. Lots of hugs to you via the net!!
xxoo ak

Anonymous said...

Kari bananna
Wow, you are bold...to volunteer to write in front of the class. I wouldn't even do that if they did speak my language! You're just like your mother. Good for you.

When wou wrote "freiheit", I thought I knew what meant also...farenheit...like in air temperature, but I guess I was wrong. Good thing I'm not over there.

Sounds like you're taking the initiative to speak up and make yourself heard. You'll have no problems making friends I'm sure.

Carry on...
Pop
ps. I wish this blog had spell check.

Anonymous said...

hey kari!

my mom's all excited cause she got new flipflops. life is here so excting.

i'm going to try out for my highschool's Model UN, but i don't think i'll make it, cause there are only 12 open spots and about 65 super-smart all AP nerds will be 'competeing' agaisnt me for a spot... i'm fairly sure i won't make it. but i thought i might as well try, cause it'd be pretty damn awesome to be in the Model UN.

also, i'm planning on joining two other clubs (these ones you don't have to try out for). one is Local Performing Artists, where you are either a local performing artist or you help set up shows locally. jacob did it last year and said it's really fun, so we're both going to be in it this year. And i'll also be joining (you're going to be so jealous!) the Harry Potter club. the first meeting is next wednesday,a dn the supervisor is my theatre teacher, so that's cool. i'm such a dork :)

hopefully within a month or two (which will go by way fast, time is speeding by for me) your German will be a better.

the weather here is so weird. i got out of school and half of the sky is dark dark grey with storm clouds, but it's sunny where i'm stanfing and about 95 degrees and 80% humidity. we get in the car and begin driving home. it's so hot in the car that when jacob put his glasses on (he leaves them in the car) that they burnt his nose. then we drive into this insane downpur where you can barely see 10 feet ahead. and it's the water is cool but the air is hot. so weird.

ok, i'm gonna go to sleep now. love you and lots of luck.! oh, and i would have to say that californians in general have cuter styles than texans. maybe we are just way to fashionable, eh? i wore your soccer referee jersey today and like 7 people complimented it. interesting.

love ya!

love mel

Anonymous said...

Zounds! School sounds HARD! I admire you. hang with it. Email other exchangee's and ask for coping strategies. Today Bryce was reading your email aloud at lunch time and he had a crowd all around him listening as he narrated. I guess you are sort of a star hearabout.

What are your meals like? Are you missing any foods? Are you suitably fashionable? Do you dress American or do you look euro, or is there no diff? What do you do at lunch time? What are the girls like, any different than CA girls?

Enough q's from madre. I have nothing to report other than all I did was work. Nippy in morn now 40's! Hank is in jail still.

Ta Ta---I love you and love your great emails. Thank you so much for all the info.

love, mom