Sunday, October 09, 2005

Viel Spass in Freiburg (much fun in Freiburg)

Freiburg was a lot of fun. We took the train there, and it took about 2 hours or a little less with all the stops and waiting for the other train in Basel. It was only 15 minutes to Basel though..so that was cool. Hopefully I can go there soon. The stores in Germany are all much smaller when considering how much ground space they take up. So instead of being huge and one level like Walmart or Winco or Costco, they build up, and down. Most big variety stores or clothing stores are several levels high and it seems like there is always more people in them....H&M is seriously like Walmart the day after Thanksgiving, except every weekend of the year. That store was absolutely packed, but it has soooooo many cute clothes and what not. I do recall the ones in Finland were cheaper though. Actually I think that most things in Finland seemed cheaper. hmm interesting. So we did a lot of shopping around and looking but I do wish that we had gone to the market place earlier, because by the time we went around 3, most of the vendors were packing up there things for the day. I know I could have found some interesting souvenirs or thigns to send home, and maybe even tshirts...3 for 10 euro. Havent found that yet though...they had vendors like that in Helsinki...the kind that speckle San Fransisco like the brown spots on a rotting banana...ooh thats an interesting analogy hehe. But they are everywhere...just not in Germany. Maybe the next time we go to a big city I will ask first thing to go to the market place and find cheap tshirts. When we ate lunch I got the ''American Sandwhich.'' hehe The only thing missing was turkey or roast beef or something...two things I have not eaten since I had been here...well actually i think at the Rotary meeting I went to roast beef was served but it was covered in some sort of horse raddishy sauce so I couldnt eat much of it. The sandwhich was a bread bun with lettuce, tomato, and big chunks of mozarrella, and I believe it had oregano in it too. It was good though. satisfied my American taste buds hehehe.

When we got home we then went to Rickenbach where we ate at a restaurant. It was an Italian style pizza restaurant, and I think that was some of the best pizza I have ever had. I think our waiter was Italian and they made the pizza right there in the dining room behind a counter with all the dough and fresh sauce (was super duper good) and whatnot right there. Manfred and I both ordered the calzone, which was beyond delicious. Man it was tasty, i want to make one just like it. Think crust too mmmmm.

And yesterday after Stefanie and I rode the horses, and I saw the Alps (which by the way I think you can click on the picture I have posted and it should open a larger version in another window), I made lunch...compliments of my mom for sending chinese food mixes: we had pork fried rice but I added many more things in addition. Then Carola and I went to this little markety thing in Herrischried that reminded me of the Honey Bee Festival, except German culture, not Palo Cedro culture. It was fun and there was a lot of cute little things there for sale.

After that I made banana bread which was delicious of coures. mmmm And then fiddled around, and continued reading this book I got in Freiburg that is really quite good and absolutely hilarious. I will pass the name of it when I finish it. I have the sneaking suspician that my book worm cousins woule buy it and read it before I finish it, because I know for a fact, that Melanie, you would especially enjoy this book. Maybe I will just send it to you when I am done and you can then send it back to me. But that would defeat the purpose of possibly saving money because it would probably cost the same, or more, so send it, and would take time. Plus I may want to read it again because it is a bit difficult to understand. Anyway that's all for now.

And mom, the grocery and shopping stores look like ours, except they are many levels high, the ones in the city anyway. Most of the grocery stores in Säckingen are smaller.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi KARI,

Well, Blaine said what I was thinking...I too. thought you grim hair shot had a pouty Paris Hilton look to it, I even said it to Mel.

Tonight is the first big Rotary meeting. It is the first "become a rotary exchange student" meeting. It is up in Houston. Both Mel and Korinn and I are driving up. They will discuss both the short and long term.

Wilson is whinning big time at me, and I don't know why.

DId you know you have a couple non-posting readers out there....post you guys!! Grandpa Collin and Joann plus Terese... I see you...
I explained to Grandpa and Joann on how to post to you so maybe they will yet!!Thought you would like to know you have some secret followers out there!!

Yesterday I went up to Univ of Houston and took my spanish placement exam!! I placed into beginning spanish. I am thrilled. First because, it has been a while since I have been in the class room, 2. because my knowledge of spanish is full of holes and beginning span will fill in gaps, and finally...maybe, just maybe I might be able to actually earn a A in a spanish class!! Classes are taught in total spanish, by grad students. I hope I get a good teacher.
I meet with my advisor next week about what other classes I need to get my 2nd Bachlors in spanish. I suspect it won't be more than 4 classes.

Tomorrow landscaping begins in the back yard. It is gonna be so cool. 7 large palm trees!! I can't wait!!

Have a good day...Wilson is whining again!!
love you
k