Friday, November 11, 2005

Feels good to be making friends

Well I tell ya, I knew from the start that people would talk to me if I talked to them. But it was intimidating (even for me), so just talk to near complete stangers, even though i knew most would eagerly talk to me. The maing thing that held me back was that I didnt want to speak in English because I needed to learn German. Finally my German is coming along and I can nearly carry on an entire conversationg, in simple language, in German. Of course, it comes with many breaks where I look to the sky trying to remember a word or have to say it in English (in which case my peers at school always know, because most have had at least 5 or 6 years of English), but nevertheless, I can speak. So since I got back from the HerbstFerien (fall holiday, a week off from school), I started talking to people. They realized that I DO know some German. WOW the exchange student can speak! Many still just automatically say things to me in English, so I tell them, ''Du musst mir Deutsch spechen!! Ich muss lernen, und jeden Tag es ist besser!!'' You must speak german with me! I must learn and every day it is better! Funny thing too, here they often say sorry, not just with me. At first I thought they just said sorry to me because I speak english, but i have since discovered that they say it anyway. I am hopefully going hiking with some friends on Sunday (ironically all past exchange students in the states), in SWITZERLAND. It's about time I go...seeing as that I am right on the border and have only seen the airport, highway, and a grocery store. The sad thing is that many ask me what I do in the evenings. hah. I live too far away to do much. But whatever, right now Im just looking foward to Sunday.

Oh yeah...I have been meaning to mention this for a long time. When people find out I am not just from the states, but from Kalifornien, they are so intrigued. It's like it's a whole other country or something...I say, Ich bin eine Austauschülerin aus Kalifornien, USA, and they say, ahh schön, Kalifornien ist wunderschön!!! And then ask me if I live by the beach and go surfing a lot. Oh, and of course mention Schwarzenegar...or however you spell his name. Er ist dein governor!!! ja, ja, er ist mein governor. lol. Many are surprised to hear that Cali actually has mountains, let alone snow. They seriously think it is all LA orange county beach life. And I say I have snowboarded for 5 years and a very large mountain is only 1 hour 15 minutes away...and they are surpised at that too. Interesting eh. i thought so. Well I lucked out because my deutsch teacher didnt show up today and then it turns out my history teacher isnt here today either, which i didnt know until i sat in the classroom for a little while and no one showed up. There is a list every week showing the teachers that wont be here on which days for which classes, but I only know the names of 3 of my teachers...and I have 7 or 8 or somehting I dont even know. So that makes it a little difficult. oh well tho...I am going to go to the shopping square and scout out a pair of flat heeled black suede (or fake suede) calf-high boots for the winter. muhuhauhaua. i am excited.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

kari!

that's so awesome, if you get to go hiking with some friends... i'm glad you finally have some! haha, just kidding. i've been wanting to go hiking again ever since Yosemite. my mom says we might go camping over thanksgiving break (i've got a whole week off).

as i'm sure you'll hear from my mother, last night we went to a rotary meeting - i want to tell you about it but i have to finish my math cause when i got home last night i was to tired to finish it. but let's just say i'm love rotary. seriously. and everyday i go through here in texas seems to me to just be leading up to brazil - or japan, or thailand, or turkey... whereever.

ok. math.

love mel

Anonymous said...

sounds like some good boots

Anonymous said...

Hi Kari,

SO COOLL..Switzerland!!! yipee.... Isn't cool to go to another country when it is so close. It was like when I would take my girl scouts yrs ago to the Peace Park on the border. We ate lunch in Canada!! Not the boring ol'USA!!

I am glad you have a weekend activity planned!! It is good to be busy.

Yeah, I heard from a lady at the work out place about a great place to camp. So I think we might give it a try during turkey break. We are considering having thanksgiving day camping. Skip the home dinner gig and go play in the woods!!

I just got a new printer and I hooked it up myself!! I had to network it to my wireless network. It got a little hairy...frustrating..but I did it!!

I totally understand the whole speaking to strangers, my spanish teacher is working on me to speak spanish to strangers!! It is so hard!!! I had lunch with my new friend Cris who is a native speaker. She is a friend of neice Mandy who is staying with us.

Have a great weekend!!
love you
ak

Anonymous said...

Hey Kari,

I saw you where wondering why the leaves fall off the trees and I don't see a response so I thought I would leave one...The leaves fall off certain trees in the fall and others in the spring. The reason the leaves fall off the trees is because they are no longer able to do photosynthesis very well and it costs the tree more resources to try and repair the old broken-down leaves (the leaves are broken down due to the stress that photosynthesis causes - but thats a topic for another comment). It is easier and cheaper for the tree to just grow new leaves that are more effecient at photosynthesis in the spring than to try to use the old leaves. And before the tree drops its leaves it will pull all of the available nutrients out of the leaves for the tree to recycle.

I can't remember why some trees drop their leaves in fall and others in the spring. I think it has something to do with the old leaves needed to protect the new buds on the trees that drop their leaves in the spring but I am not too sure.

Anyway I hope hiking is wonderful and cheer-up I have no social life either. There is only 5 Have a weeks left of the semester and i have 2 papers, a research paper, and honors project and a few things I have already forgotten to complete. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and week!

Sarah